zondag 1 oktober 2017

Sunday Stamps: 'I' is for Iran, Ierland and insecten

The Sunday Stamps theme of Sunday 1st October is the letter 'i'.

A pretty stamp which includes a country which starts with the letter 'I' is this one:



The stamp is from Iran, from the year 1395 (2016), and has been dedicated to NowRuz. It shows, besides Iran, also other countries / regions in which the New Year starts at the vernal equinox. I think it a nice idea - and logical - that the new year starts at exactly the same time as does spring.



From the Iranian stamp to stamps from an other country starting with the letter 'I'. That is, not in the native language itself, but in Dutch we name Éire 'Ierland' (pronounced differently from the English 'Ireland').



And of course the word 'insect', or 'insekt' (plural: insecten or insekten), starts with an 'i'. In Dutch the accent (emphasis) is on the second syllable, inSECT, while as far as I know in English the accent is on the first syllable, INsect.



See more stamps on the letter 'i' at and via Sunday Stamps!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Stamps from Iran are rare to get. I've only got a postcard from there (from an Australian friend living in Morocco, who visited that country - !). This one is particularly interesting. And also the Irish. That green squared is one of the best parts of that common issue. The only think I don't like is... the biro cancellations! :|

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'm not sure how I missed this post. Thanks for all the I stamps.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen