zondag 20 februari 2022

Sunday Stamp: Nella Larsen

It has been a long time since I posted for Sunday Stamps, and I am happy to add a stamp for today's theme: 'N'.
My late mom was named Nelly, and the woman on this stamp is named Nella, so her name is dear :-)
I found some more information about Nella Larsen on the internet, and her career is matching to this Sunday Stamps' theme also: she was both a nurse and a novellist.
I didn't know her books so far. But now that I was searching for more information, I found out that her novel 'Passing', first published in 1929, still is available (and even has been translated into my language, Nederlands / Dutch). As it is about two women from mixed families (which is a dear theme to me) I just ordered it, to read it more than ninety years after Nella has written the book.

Nella's stamp was accompanied by a stamp of an other writer, plus a matching postmark of the Harlem Renaissance movement (many thanks to FinnBadger for these stamps and postmark):
See more stamps on today's theme on and via the comments on today's Sunday Stamps.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. I am glad to "see" you in Sunday Stamps :D
    I got this stamp, too. I don't remember if it was a cause of it or an article I read, but I bought the novel Passing last year, and I enjoyed it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It was thanks to your large 'N' that I started searching in my stamps and found Nella!
      How coincidental that you bought the book last year!

      Verwijderen
  2. I think Passing is now also a Hollywood movie? I may be mistaken.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I haven't seen it has been released in my country yet but you are right that there is a movie, according to wikipedia Passing released rather recently, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(film)

      Verwijderen
  3. The film got good reviews when it came out. It will make an interesting read I think. Nice to discover books through stamps.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. well, thanks to you and this post, I think I'll also order this book!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Great to see you here for Sunday Stamps, Heleen, and so nice to see you chose a stamp I sent you. Amazing to read that you read Nella Larsen's book.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen