zaterdag 1 juli 2017

Sunday Stamps: tall ships

This Sunday Stamps' theme is 'tall ships'.

For mail lovers of course this tall ship is a favourite one, as this ship was meant and used for mail transport:



The word 'tall ship' (in Dutch also in English) I heard for the very first time just two years ago, when the event Sail Amsterdam took place. I didn't have time to visit the event, but friends who did, told me they were impressed by the amazing tall ships, and they showed me beautiful photos. So hopefully I can take a look next time, in 2020 that will be.

This stamp sheet, Dutch PostNL issued in honour of the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam, shows one - tiny! - tall ship, see bottom right:



A similar old tall ship has been pictured on this recent stamp, part of a six stamps sheet connecting the Netherlands and Australia:



A tall ship (in Dutch also 'zeilreus', 'sail giant') is a large, traditionally-rigged sailing ship. I though it always has more than one mast. So I am not sure if the following, modern, vessel will belong to this Sunday's theme. At least she sails over the oceans, and is underways for a very long time, an amazing journey. On this stamp sheet, issued by PostNL in 2015, you can see the vessels and sailors in action:



See more stamps on this interesting theme at and via Sunday Stamps.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. Well done Heleen, a great selection. I never see the GB Post and go stamps like that first one.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you, Bob! I didn't know the type of stamp is named 'post and go'. I've seen some from Spain, too, and I am curious to know if (and a little afraid that) the printed postage and codes will vanish over time (as it seems to be this heat-inked paper..)..

      Verwijderen
  2. The first time I saw a tall ship was at Sail Amsterdam (way back in 1980!) and I have loved them ever since.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen